Monday, August 10, 2009

Brand extensions have gone too far

This is a prime example of brand extensions gone too far...come on, really? Ed Hardy hand sanitizer?


Oh, I'm sorry, I guess I'm just not hip and trendy enough. This isn't just ANY hand sanitizer we're talking about here. It's the this beautiful plastic wrapper with a gaudy tiger on it. I was blown away when I saw this at TJ Maxx where I work part-time. I personally can't merit spending $50-$100 on a shirt, but an MSRP or $8 for this stuff!? Sure Ed Hardy has shirts, hats, belts, bags, shoes, etc...but just wow. Sometimes brands need to take a step back and think for a second, is this really a good idea? Sure some people will buy anything, and with N1H1 out there, I can sort of understand, but this just doesn't work. I hear more negativities about this stuff than people purchasing it. I'm going to say this was a bad idea, think before you develop marketers.

2 comments:

  1. i heard they have some baby strollers too!!!

    at least it's not nail polish, which i thought it was at first glance...

    ReplyDelete
  2. we just got glassware in...so cups n' stuff...sigh

    ReplyDelete