Wednesday, April 1, 2009

A glimmer of hope

Well, good news to be had. One of my friends flew out to Florida to interview at Zimmerman, and he was able to get the job. That means there's a glimmer of hope for the rest of us in this robust, beautiful economic crisis we're in right now. Ohwell, I still have some time to worry about it (not that 3 months is a lot.) However, the hope still remains. I'm fearful that we will become "the forgotten class." All the reports say the economy isn't going to turn up until 2010, that puts us 2009 graduates at a disadvantage. Everyone now seems to be looking for people with 5 years agency experience, and when 2010 rolls around, agencies may be looking to the newest college graduates. I don't want to become lost in the shuffle, so it is important to work hard and differentiate yourself. That's what I'm doing, and hopefully good things will come to fruition.

As for a happier post, I stumbled upon an article entitled "9 reasons Japanese interactive work is awesome."



I love the Japanese and the Japanese culture. It's so interesting and fun. From the colors to the cartoons to the people, it's a beautiful country throughout. One part in the article really got me thinking, and that was number 2, The work isn’t driven by TV advertising. In our culture, almost every advertising campaign is centered around what the commercial spot will be (if there is a budget for it). Of all the other mediums out there, why are we locked into this process? With emerging digital media and other interactive venues, I'm hoping to see major changes in the way advertisers communicate.

At the bottom are some examples of new Japanese interactive media executions, and the one that stood out most to me was the usage of QR, or quick response codes, with the Darktemptations Chocohunter Axe campaign. While QR has started to make its way to the states, not many phones yet support them. However, overseas, it's been around for over 7 years! There are so many things that you can do with it, it's amazing. I can't wait until it hits big here and more phones support it.

No comments:

Post a Comment